#Collaboreads: Foodie Book




I am a few days late, but still wanted to post about my #Collaboreads food book of November, My Life In France by Julia Child. What is #Collaboreads, you may ask? It's a monthly link-up hosted currently by Rachel Dawson where we all read a book that fits a theme (foodie memoir is November's theme) and then use the R.E.A.D.S acronym (seen below) to share the highlights of our book. It is a fun way to meet fellow book-lovin' bloggers as well as add books to your to-be-read list.

My Life in France is a beautiful and hilarious memoir chronicling Julia Childs' rise to culinary notoriety. Who knew that taking a year of cooking classes at Cordon Bleu in Paris would lead to a hit TV cooking show and bestselling cookbooks on French cooking for the average American cooks? I listened to the audiobook and it was load of fun. She was a larger-than-life character and I felt the book captured her essence very well.

___________________________________________

RIVETING: What part of the book could you not get enough of?
I first heard of Julia Child when the whole buzz around the blockbuster hit, Julie & Julia first started. I loved the movie and wanted to know more about her, but for whatever reason, it has taken me this long to read her memoir (co-written by Alex Prud'Homme because the project was started in the last years of Julia's life). There was so much about Julia that was inspiring as well as so much that had me literally laughing out loud while listening to the audiobook on my jogs or while doing my chores. She was a larger-than-life character and her memoir captured her essence. I want to watch the movie again and find some videos of her cooking TV show on youtube soon. 


ELEMENTS: How did you relate to/care for the characters? What are your thoughts on the plot line and twists and turns?
When Julia Child first started taking lessons at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, she was in her late 37. She learned a whole new language (French) the year before when her husband's government job brought them to Paris. I was inspired by her courage to try something new even though it was definitely tough at times. She didn't let small failures keep her from big accomplishments. And she cut against the grain when it came to her boisterous humor and overall personality but she didn't let that keep her from being who she truly was. Learning all these things made her very endearing to me and kept me captivated in her story through all the twists and turns that resulted from her desire to write an exemplary French cookbook for the average American cook (which she has more than succeeded at!).

ASSOCIATE: What other books are like this one? 
I have recently been binging on foodie memoirs (pardon the food pun, there's more where that came from). Favorite include two by Kathleen Flinn (The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry  and The Kitchen Counter Cooking School) and two by Elizabeth Bard (Lunch in Paris and Picnic in Provence). Now I am adding My Life In France with these culinary favorites. 

DESIGN: You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think of it? How did it relate to the contents of the novel? And the font and layout of the pages?
I love the photo of Julia and Paul with their ginormous valentine hearts (they were known to send out themed photographs as their valentines cards). The  border  kinda resembles an old school sardines (or tuna?) can, haha. Or maybe I was just really hungry every time I looked at the cover? I listened to the audiobook and the narration was really good! 

STARS: Would you recommend this book to a friend? Why or why not?
★★★★★/5 stars! Definitely will recommend it to anyone who likes foodie memoirs, especially if their also happen to love anything Parisian.

__________________________________________

December's #Collaboread theme is A Familiar Favorite and the link-up will start on Dec. 28th!

Comments