No Place Like Home // The Circle Link-Up

Today I am linking up with the sweet Kiki from In Its Time and the rest of The Circle community for September's link up prompt: There's No Place Like Home. This is quite the ironic link-up for me to join since I am in-between homes at the moment. I moved out of my darling little apartment at the end of July and moved into my parents' house until my upcoming wedding next month (!!!).  But I don't quite live at home right now either. After a long trek from Oregon to Texas, I am currently in Texas, unpacking all of my boxes in the apartment that will be Greg and mine after our wedding. I am being hosted by two different friends during my stay in Texas and have been driving to our soon-to-be apartment daily to unpack boxes. So, writing a post on "home" cis a bit comical since I am hopping around from place to place. Instead, I will share some inspiration for my soon-to-be home with my soon-to-be husband :) 

My apartment was very shabby chic and feminine. It suited me just fine, but once Greg and I get married and live together, it's not exactly the look we're going for. Instead, we found a middle ground of my love for elegant rustic with his more practical and minimalist style. We have agreed on a neutral color scheme with natural wood accents. 

Here are some photos, compliments of Pinterest, of what I am imagining.

I love teal, so there will be a hint of it because of a small end-table I brought from my old apartment. I registered for a this floor lamp  that is similar as the one pictured and like the idea of the natural-colored whicker baskets under the coffee table since Greg has a dark wood coffee table with a shelf like below. Some beige curtains like these would add a bit of charm as well.
//  1  //

Here is an idea of the kind of coffee table I would love to find at some point. World Market has one that I think would be perfect, but it costs a pretty penny, so I'm happy with the one we have for now. I have a soft linen-colored loveseat from World Market that I adore and am going to pair it with either burlap  or patterned pillows (like this or this)  for a splash of color. 
// 2 //

For the bedroom, we will have a few pieces of the IKEA Hemnes bedroom furniture set in black-brown. This is a far cry from my white cottage shabby chic look, but I think will look great with a light-colored comforter and sheets.  Some metallics and blues will add some brightness to the darker pieces as well. We'll also have the Billy bookcase from IKEA to hold all of our books.
// 3 //

A few more ideas include wooden "floating"shelves for displaying knick-knacks and framed photos, an herb garden on our balcony, fresh flowers on our dinner table, and (I wish) a real or I'll even settle for a fake fireplace.
Most importantly, however, I desire that our future home is filled with joy and love. I want anyone that steps inside to feel welcomed, comfortable, and loved --- in the end that is far more important than the color of our curtains or the shelves on our wall. I am excited to grow in the art of hospitality and to love those who enter our apartment in a way that they are drawn closer to Jesus. Having a pretty home is an added bonus that is fun to prepare for, but that's the highest priority when I dream about building a life together as a married couple.

"Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay." 
(1 Peter 4:9)


Comments

  1. Ooh, I looooove your inspiration! I'm all about minimalism and natural wood and neutrals and I can't wait to see how you two make your apartment into a home. :) The herb garden and the floating wood shelves are so much fun!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that you get to start a home fresh with your soon to be husband!

    I like the pictures you shared and you should do a post once you get your home all decorated! However, before all that I hope you have a wonderful wedding and enjoy that season of being newlweds. It really is a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to be planning for a new home and life as a married couple!! I remember those days and how much fun we had putting our wedding gifts away in our new apartment...such a wonderful time! I love the inspiration photos you picked--I love the rustic touches but also how it still manages to be simple and clean. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES to the coffee table!
    i can't wait to see how all of this comes into fruition for y'all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice