cooking with elle / healing vegetable bisque


Two cooking-related posts in a row? You can see what I have on my mind these days. I am currently on day 3 of a food elimination diet to evaluate if I have any food sensitivities. I am avoiding gluten, dairy, eggs, processed sugars/foods. And since I had the day off, I relaxed by cooking a few different recipes, one of which was . . . 

Healing Vegetable Bisque
Root vegetables are considered healing due to different benefits including antibiotic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, diuretic, respiratory, digestive, skin, and bone health (1). This is a perfect bisque to get some powerful vitamins and it tastes delicious to boot!

What You Need:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped (~1 cup)
4 medium carrots, chopped (~2 cups)
1 medium daikon root, chopped (~1 cup)
1 medium burdock root (~1/2 cup)
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp sea salt
(I added some cumin and pepper for taste)

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions for 8-10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add carrots, daikon, and burdock. Continue to sauté for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables start to brown. Add stock to saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat to cool for 15 minutes. 

In a high-powered blender, puree 2 cups of the soup at a time until smooth, then transfer to saucepan. Stir in the salt, reheat, and serve.
It yielded enough to sip on throughout the rest of the week. Yum!

(Healing Vegetable Bisque from Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry (by Elana Amsterdam), page 55)

Liked this recipe? Check out more on the Cooking with Elle series!

Comments

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm that looks delicious! (also i love that your stored it in mason'esq jars! that is what my fridge looks like!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy! This bisque is sooooooo good!!! I had it 5 days in a row and then I made some more today!! I am crazy over this bisque!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice