goal-setting // day one: let's do this!

[1]

I need Jesus. Isn't that the truth? Yes, goal-setting is an important way to be intentional
and productive both with short and long-term goals, but through it all, I need Jesus.
I have been thinking about what my resolutions are for this new year and was 
teetering on a dichotomy of fear: 
fear of hoping for too little versus fear of hoping for too much.
I do not want to limit God or what He wants to do in me this year. I want to trust that He can do immeasurably more than I could ever imagine [Ephesians 3:20], be it in my physical, emotional, mental, or relationship corners of my life. I want to dream big.
And yet, I still have an aching anxiousness that what if I dream too big and fail
What if I come short of my goals and fail yet again?

This goal-setting period might get a little bumpy. I may have days when I think,
what on earth am I getting myself into?
Yes, I may even fall short at times and utterly fail other times.
But, is that reason to not try at all?
Is that reason to cower beneath my fear of failure and settle for what I have grown accustomed to, never seeking to grow and stretch beyond my comfort zone?

So, here I stand.
Unsure, yes.
But standing atop one thing that I am most sure of:
I need Jesus.
Whatever 2014 may unveil, I need Jesus
Whatever goals I rejoice in completing, I need Jesus
Whatever failures I see before me, I need Jesus
Whatever joys that come into my life, I need Jesus
Whatever suffering and trials may befall me, I need Jesus

On this first day of Lara Casey's 2014 Goal-Setting series, I reflect on 2013.

----->> Three Challenges in 2013: <<----
1.} My negative attitude towards work, family, being social.
2.} Staying productive after a draining day at work
3.} Being present with people when I am with them

---->> Three Reasons to be Grateful in 2013: <<----
1.} I have a job that I like and work with awesome co-workers and feel supported by my bosses
2.} I live close [within 30min] to family and friends
3.} God has been faithful every step of the way

---->> Highlights of 2013: <<----
1.} Traveling! [London, France, Leavenworth, Arizona, Seattle]
2.} Going deeper in learning about "eucharisteo", joyful thanksgiving, by reading and journaling through One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voscamp
3.} I was active and eating pretty healthy the first nine months of the year

---->> What didn't work in 2013 <<----
1.} I bought a TV and have too easily plopped myself down to unwind after a long day at work
2.} I fell off the jogging and gym wagon in October after I had a rough time healing from my wisdom teeth extraction and have not been eating very healthy the past two months with the holidays.
3.} I have not made as much time for friends and family during a typical week as I would want to.

Next, is inspiration! And where did we got for inspiration in 2013? Well, pinterest of coarse!
Here is my pinterest board boldly titled Make It Happen 2014 in which I pinned some of the ideas of goals to get the wheels turning in my mind and heart.

Lastly, I want to add that as I opened my Bible app to read a bit, and the verse of the day was Isaiah 43:19 . . . a perfect verse to sum it up: God is doing a new thing in 2014. I betta get ready!
[2]
- - -
How about you? Are you working on goals for 2014? What has helped you be successful in the past?

Comments

  1. I looove your thoughts on goal-setting. I, too, have a tendency to fall back on fear of failure (a HUGE struggle of mine when I was in middle and high school) when it comes to big dreams. Especially big dreams that involve people for some reason--i.e. making and keeping and deepening friendships/relationships--maybe it's the introvert in me?

    But I digress. Thank you for the reminder that we need Jesus. Because no matter our goals or resolutions and no matter our fears or failures, we need Him to be our true goal and focus this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiki! Yes, He is the true goal indeed! Well put! And yes, fear has been a crippling agent in 2013 and I am determined to prayerfully fight against fear this year!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post!!! Love the new look too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela!! Kiki from In It's Time designed it for me! I love it!!

      Delete
  3. Whatever the Lord has up His sleeve for you this year, I know they'll be beautiful plans which will strengthen your relationship with Him. Happy new year, Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What a beautiful reminder that He is in control. So encouraging!!

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about being afraid either way - such a challenge to not be afraid! I always find the new year so daunting (especially since I usually don't yet know what I'll be doing...) and this year is especially difficult to find direction, but that verse at the end is so encouraging :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're so right . . . a new year is daunting, but what comfort in those words. God is making something new! Our eyes cant see it yet, but His can! That brings comfort to my anxious heart!

      Delete
  5. My heart can resonate with much of this, and you had many highlights from this past year to be grateful for. I love how you talk about your great need for Jesus... I've been feeling the tug too. Matt Maher's song "I Need You" has been on replay for months for me now. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvfMDhTyMA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natalie! I love that Matt Maher song! It has ministered to my heart in the past few years so much. It is so easy to take my eyes off Him and to look to things around me. Maybe some of those things are good in and of themselves. Maybe they even speak of Him or sing of Him. But they can never replace Him. I can never find the peace in things around me that I find in Jesus. It's as simple as that, except I complicate it so often!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice