our grateful hearts // week 3

“Humbly let go. Let go of trying to do, let go of trying to control, let go of my own way, let go of my own fears. Let God blow His wind, His trials, oxygen for joy's fire. Leave the hand open and be. Be at peace. Bend the knee and be small and let God give what God chooses to give because He only gives love and whisper a surprised thanks. This is the fuel for joy's flame. Fullness of joy is discovered only in the emptying of will. And I can empty. I can empty because counting His graces has awakened me to how He cherishes me, holds me, passionately values me. I can empty because I am full of His love. I can trust.” 
(Ann VosKamp, One Thousand Gifts)
_______________________

I can hardly believe we are at the end of November's third week. Next week is Thanksgiving, y'all! I love this season and that it reminds us to pause and give thanks for a year full of blessings. Sure, a beautifully decorated table, deliciously-carved turkey, pumpkin pie, and family around the table are all part of the day, but the heart of this beloved holiday is giving thanks. It's one of my favorite holidays and I try to do something different every year to thank people in my life, usually with hand-written notes in the mail because so often I forget to thank people around me for the ways they invest in my life, encourage me when I am down, and remind me of God's love. 

Ever since reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts in 2013, thanksgiving (both the verb and the holiday) have meant even more than before. I try to give God thanks for the many gifts He gives all year-round rather than only in November, but I love being more intentional about it this month too. SO the myriad of instagramers, Facebook statuses, and bloggers  posting their daily list of what they're thankful for doesn't get old; I love hearing about what other people are thankful for, because it typically makes me realize things that I didn't think to be thankful for. 

For November, Greg and I want to be intentional about daily finding blessings that remind us God loves us and is faithful and good. I shared week 1 and week 2, and now want to share this week's blessings we journaled about:

#32. Thankful for lazy Saturday filled with lots of cuddling and reading. After a long, stressful week at work for Greg, it was a sweet start to last weekend.

#37. Thankul that my little brother made it back safely from Mexico after a one-week trip leading students at the missionary training school he works at. 

#38. We joined a Bible study group for newly married couples at our church. We are excited to have community with couples in the same season as us.

#39. Super grateful for a husband who supports and believes in my writing dreams. He especially encouraged me this past week to pursue an idea for the blog that has been simmering in my mind for awhile now. It may be cliche, but I feel like he gives me wind beneath my wings when he said he is proud of me and believes in me as a writer.

#40. Thankful that Greg works about 10 minutes from home and can come home during lunch so we can enjoy lunch together.

#41. Thankful for one month of marriage on November 17th! 

#42. Thankful for one of Greg's friends taking us our to dinner on Tuesday night at a hip place called The Granery as a wedding gift and so that he could get to know me better. He had been very intentional in asking Greg about our relationship while we were dating, so it was cool to get to know him a bit better over a really delicious dinner he treated us to!

#43. Thankful for Tone It Up videos, which are perfect short work-out videos on YouTube for those days I can't make it to the gym or outside for a jog, but want to get atleast 10 minutes of physical activity. 

#44. Thankful for a sweet package from the pediatric clinic I worked at before moving to Texas. Several co-workers wrote sweet messages on post-it notes for me :)
#45. Thankful for a sweet card that came in the mail from my family, congratulating us one our one month of marriage :)
#46. Thankful that Greg gets one WTF (Work From Home) day. It's nice having him home, even if he is busily working on the computer or on the phone on conference calls. We went to Chik-fil-A for lunch while he was on his conference call and I ate my chicken deluxe meal while reading a new favorite, Notes From A Blue Bike by Tsh Oxenreider.
#47. Thankful that Greg cares about how my back and neck have been hurting, mainly from not being conscientious about my posture. We jimmy-rigged a new workspace for me on the dining room table with a wireless keyboard and mouse plus a breakfast table to lift my laptop to eye-level. More ergonomically correct head position = less (or NO) pain while writing and working on the computer!
#48. Co-hosting The Circle with my lovely friend Kiki on Wednesday! Kiki is awesome and loves to build community, so I was honored to be able to co-host this month as all the gals shared acrostic poems spelling out t-h-a-n-k-f-u-l. Hop on over and check out our responses… There is still time to link-up too!

Thanks for hosting thankfulness-related link-ups, Brushing Our Way Through Life. Attitude of Gratitude link-up with While I am Waiting and The Queen in Between, and Knit By God's Hands' Thankful Thursday, and Bella Brita.  

What are you thankful for, friends?

Comments

  1. What a nice post! I have never read that book, but it sounds like a wonderful read. Congratulations on your first month of marriage. May you have many many more wonderful years together ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Kara! And yes, it is a great read! I will be reviewing it at the end of the month along with other books I read in November :)

      Delete
  2. Happy monthoversary :) What a lovely list! I like your Circle post too, great poem :) I didn't get around to doing that but loved the idea.
    Thanks for linking up with me at #GratitudeGoals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie!! The Circle's link-up is still open throughout the month if you wanna link-up! It's been fun seeing everyone's poems!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on one month! It flies by doesn't it? I love your list and hope you have an amazing Thanksgiving =)

    I need to do something about my laptop situation too because my neck also hurts soo bad. I'm usually sitting with terrible posture with my baby sleeping wrapped up on me, while on a yoga ball (like right now). If I sit in a chair she wakes up! Definitely a bizarre situation haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you must have really good balance to hold your sweet one on a yoga ball. I can hardly sit ALONE on a yoga ball! haha! I notice the neck pain when I am spending long hours on the computer, so I am really happy for the change. I have seen improvement already!

      And yes, one month totally flew by! Thanks so much for comment!

      Delete
  4. I love this! What a wonderful idea! I love that you actually put pen to paper and journal about them together. I share mine on the blog from time to time and actually did so this weekend, but I don't think we have ever sat down and shared them together. I think maybe we will start tonight! It would be great to share some of mine and hear some his. Just found this happy spot and am excited to peek around some more. Hope your Sunday has been beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been awesome to sit on the cough or in bed before falling asleep and recalling blessings from that day (or if we are behind a few days, then we'll talk about those too). I love being able to list specific things my husband has done for me that I felt blessed by, and likewise, feel so honored and appreciated when he does the same by noting those blessings in the journal. It helps to refocus us and to appreciate each other as well as so many other blessings around us. I might continue it even after November ends!

      Delete
  5. What a sweet, sweet post! I love how intentional you and your sweet hubby are! So many wonderful things to be thankful for. And, the post it notes?! My absolute favorite! It truly is the little things that mean so much to me! Thank you so much for linking up with us at Attitude of Gratitude! We hope to see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Holly! I am loving your link-up and the thoughts you share about the thanksgiving verse you are studying!
      Yes, the post-it notes were super sweet!! I miss my old co-workers!

      Delete
  6. I totally forgot to link-up for The Circle. Drats!

    Having a supportive SO is vital to writing success. My husband has been so patient over the years with my deadlines, my dreams, and everything else.

    I also love how everyone is focused on gratitude this month! Thinking of my daily blessings, no matter how small, really helps me keep my life in perspective.

    Thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brita, it's not too late! You still have through the month of November if you still wanna hop onto The Circle! :)

      Yes, it's been a blessing to be supported by him and for him to believe in my writing dreams!

      Delete
  7. Hi. Visiting from Thankful Thursday. Better late than never. First, thank you for visiting my blog.

    I enjoyed reading your post. Congrats on being married a month and it sounds like your hubby is a wonderful guy.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! I enjoyed visiting your beautiful blog and thank you for visiting mine!! Yes, my hubby is wonderful! I am very blessed and it's been great journaling our blessings this month because they remind us how loved we are by each other, by our friends and family, and most of all, by God.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on one month of marriage! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts!

Elle Alice